Friday, November 6, 2009

to my friend on Navajo Road

A friend, a fine codger who clearly sees through the pithiness of the world and expresses it in his life style and in his fine wry manner, sent a letter to me the other day containing a green disc about 3 inches in diameter made of a soft but firmly tough waffle-ly design, of simple elegance, obviously concocted with an intent of opening obstructive jar lids. No logo, which I like. The folded sheet of letter paper surrounding it contained these words in his own penmanship (you remember penmanship don't you?)-- Get a grip!

I love that man, (1) for his motivation and action (the two don't always go together you know, (2) for having such a device at hand (the epitome of its kind), (3) for sending me the exact message I needed to hear at the exact right moment (we haven't talked for quite some time, our conversational high-wire artistic feats of derring-do generally taking place at the parking lot of Basha's or over a cup of coffee in what passes for their coffee corner), (4) for the immediate use to which I put my green waffle grid grip device (GWGGD) after sitting and admiring it for some moments with chuckles of appreciation that are great medicine unavailable at any pharmaceutical supply store, which was, (5) using it on the right handle of my walker for exactly the right compression needed to soften the nerve and bone ache (which I have been bearing like any stoic marine) of my right hand in supporting my weight while my left wussy foot heals. during these 2+ weeks.

Jim, though you are some years my senior and I feel advised to call you Sir, that Sir is a measure of profound respect. Maybe someday I can grow up to be more like you, (Now don't get all weepy, that is part of a callous move to get you to buy me the next cup of coffee.)

Love to you in our mutual Geezerdom and our eternal models of role.

I've got a grip, Brother!

Thank you!

1 comment: