Thursday, January 1, 2009

Jesusian

I am no Christian. I am a Jesusian (gee-soos-ee-an).
I love and follow the example of Jesus as much as possible.
I am still wearing my training wheels.

I do not follow Jesus because of sanctimony.
I do not follow Jesus because of being born again.
I do not follow Jesus because of convention.
I do not follow Jesus because it is The Only Way.
I do not follow Jesus because he died for me.
I do not follow Jesus because he sits at the right hand of God.
I do not follow Jesus because I was raised that way.
I do not follow Jesus because I want eternal life.
I do not follow Jesus because of fear I will go to hell.
I do not follow Jesus because I want to go to a heaven.
I do not follow Jesus because of the social connections.
I do not follow Jesus because the Bible tells me so.

I follow Jesus because he is a madman.
You know what a madman is, don't you?
A madman in this society is one who is highly sane.
A madman in this society is one who does not follow the rules.

You know the rules, don't you?
Here are some of them.
Get as much as you can for yourself and your buddies
and kick ass if anyone gets in your way.
Keep yourself entertained.
Don't make waves.
Live your sweet little life and hey, it's too bad about them.

That's the way it was back then and that's the way it is now.
Jesus was a madman. He would not follow the rules.

I love and follow Jesus the madman.
We have service with communion regularly.
Maybe I can drop these training wheels soon.

3 comments:

  1. George,

    i like what you say about madmen being highly sane. i couldn't agree more:)

    Thanks for sharing your perspective, as always.

    ben

    ReplyDelete
  2. You betcha
    Madman like Jesus
    are the truely sane
    Oh can we just all
    be a mad!

    And by the way, I never thought he left!

    Littlegeezer

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried."
    --G. K. Chesterton

    ReplyDelete